Charles Brison Barnwell, Jr.
Email: click here to contact
Mr. Barnwell has earned an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics.
- Workers compensation
- Products liability
- South Carolina and U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 1974
- University of South Carolina, J.D.
- Wilkes v. Chappell Transport, 276 S.C. 690, 281 S.E.2d 485 (Sup. Ct. 1981)
- Bilton v. Best Western Royal Motor Co., 282 S.C. 634, 321 S.E.2d 63 (Ct. App. 1984)
- Mixon v. Westinghouse Electric Corp., 304 S.C. 31, 402 SE2d 893 (Ct. App. 1991)
- O’Banner v. Westinghouse Electric Corp. 319 S.C. 24, 459 S.E.2d 893 (Ct. App. 1995)
Associations and memberships
- Orangeburg County (President, 1972) and American Bar Associations
- South Carolina Bar (Circuit Vice President, 1972 – 1975; Member, House of Delegates, 1976—; Council Member, Negligence, Insurance and Workers’ Compensation Section, 1980—, Chairman, Fee Disputes Committee, First Judicial Circuit, 1983—; Member, Executive Board, South Carolina Bar Association Statewide Fee Dispute Board)
- Southern Association of Workers Compensation Administrators
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- Defense Research and Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Rank of Advocate, 1997—)
- Blue Key; Phi Delta Phi
- Special Assistant, South Carolina Legislative Council, 1967
- Member, Orangeburg County Public Defender Corporation, 1969 – 1972
- Orangeburg Human Affairs Commission, 1976 – 1978
- Advisory Board, South Carolina Workers Compensation Commission, 1980
- Recipient, Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, Presbyterian College, 1977
- Dum Vivimus Servimus Award, 2004
- Presbyterian College, Most Distinguished Alumni Award, Kappa Alpha Order, 2004
- Member, Kappa Alpha Order Court of Honor; Board of Visitors, Presbyterian College
- Listed in: Who’s Who in American Law, 2nd and 6th editions; Who’s Who in America 2008
- Member, Orangeburg City Council, 2001–
Horger, Barnwell & Reid, L.L.P. serves clients throughout Orangeburg, Calhoun and Bamberg Counties.